Join us on an introduction to shoe making. The 5 day derby course is a great place to start to learn about shoe making in a short amount of time.
The 5 day derby course is a great place to start to learn about shoe making in a short amount of time.
We'll follow all traditional techniques and using industrial machines for closing and finishing.
A Five hole Derby pattern will be provided for this course. If you
are wanting to make your own design please see Bespoke courses.
- Measuring feet selecting correct last and altering if necessary for fit
- Cutting pieces for uppers and linings (mock up with patterns provided)
- Skiving edges on the skiving machine
- Inserting top line tape/eyelet reinforcement
- Stitching and closing uppers
- Hand-Lasting demo with mock-up
- Selecting final upper leathers from selection.
- Clicking and closing upper and lining (final pair)
- Finish Construction of final pair.
- Midsole pattern and cutting
- Soak mould midsole
- Inserting leather counter stiffeners
- Lasting Uppers
- Corking and shanking
- Attaching a stitched randing around the feather edge of the shoes
- Attaching soles using the sole press
- Trimming and sanding soling
- Stacking heel and attaching heel to sole
- Waxing and Iron Glaze soles with bees wax
- Inserting leather sock and metal aglets on laces
READ THROUGH OUR FAQ OR GET IN TOUCH
5 days, 11am-5pm, Mon - Fri
These days do not need to be consecutive. We can work to your schedule. Please get in touch to discuss.
27b Belfast Road, London N16 6UN